Each year the ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences and the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific may offer up to 30 awards known as the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship. Funding for this award has been provided by the Ethel Tory Endowment fund.
The objective of the award is to provide funds to cover documented travel costs, for eligible students undertaking full-time language study outside Australia, or full-time language study of Australian Indigenous Languages within Australia.
The following information is for students applying for the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship to support the study of Australian Indigenous, European and Middle Eastern Languages. For information about the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship to support Asian language study please visit the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific website.
Field of Study
Australian Indigenous, European and Middle Eastern Languages
The Ethel Tory Language Scholarship provides funds to assist students undertaking full-time study, in the following categories:
- Language courses conducted off shore by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- Language courses offered by an approved international higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- A program of study, offered by an approved international higher education provider, delivered in a foreign language and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- Australian Indigenous Language courses conducted by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- Australian Indigenous Language courses offered by an approved higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree
- Currently studying language at an intermediate/advanced (or equivalent) level within their undergraduate degree
- Be studying full time while overseas in region in an approved field of study
- Previous recipients of the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship are ineligible to apply.
- International students may not apply the scholarship for study in their country of origin.
- Applications for Semester 2 2022 and Winter 2022 open 3 May 2022 and close 31 May 2022.
Selection will be made on the basis of:
- The academic record of eligible students;
- Benefit to student’s personal and academic life, and need for financial support, as detailed in the personal statement in the scholarship application;
- Whether the student has been awarded any other funding, grants or scholarships for language study;
Access and equity considerations, including, if relevant, financial circumstances.
A scholar is expected to remain in full-time enrolment during the exchange period.
Award recipients are expected to maintain the equivalent of an ANU average grade of 70% or better until the conclusion of the exchange period.
The language study program must be completed as approved.
Upon completion of the study program and return to ANU, the student must provide:
- A short report (500-1000 words) in English on the student’s study experience, and;
- An official transcript from the participating institution providing evidence that the approved program of study was completed.
How to Apply
Applications are managed through the ANU Global Programs System.
To complete the application, you will need to prepare the following:
- Itemised quotation of travel costs from a travel agent*
- Citizenship documentation (international students only)
- Access and equity supporting documentation, as required
* This can be an official quote on a letterhead, or an email from your travel agent, or a quote from an online booking page.
Important information about applying
- All parts of the application should be received by 11:59pm on the relevant deadline to be eligible for assessment.
- Applicants will be contacted using the details provided on ISIS. Should staff not be able to contact an applicant through incorrect details, or because the applicant did not check their university email, this may result in the application being ineligible or in a scholarship offer being withdrawn.
- Successful applicants will be required to update their bank details on ISIS and return a signed copy of the Conditions of Award. Should this not be done by the due date, it will be understood that the applicant does not wish to accept the offer of scholarship.
This scholarship does not cover:
- Side trips for personal reasons/travel
- Travel Insurance
Full terms & conditions
· Download the Full terms and conditions (172K PDF)
Frequently asked questions
I am a first year student studying language, am I eligible to apply?
Yes. However, it is preferred that you will have completed at least three language courses at the time you apply.
I am an international student, am I eligible to apply?
Yes, but you may not use the scholarship for study in their country of origin.
Regarding the selection criteria, which courses are considered as intermediate/advanced level?
In general terms, 2000-coded courses would be considered intermediate and 3000-coded courses as advanced.
Does this scholarship cover accommodation?
No, this scholarship only covers documented travel costs, such as air travel and ground transportation, if necessary. This does not include travel from your home to the airport.
Does this scholarship cover ground transportation?
Yes, however, you need to provide an itemised quote and receipt. It can cover bus/train trips that get you from the airport to your final destination.
When the money will be transferred to my nominated account?
We will inform you of the approximate date of transfer in the offer letter.
Would it be possible to have the details of this award added to my academic transcript?
Yes, this will be arranged once you have signed and returned the Conditions of Award.